Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 25th Team Training

Today the half-marathoners and I completed an 8-mile course which took us from Heritage Park to Hicks Canyon Trail all the way up to Portola, then over to Yale before we retraced our steps. I ran across some intersections but mostly walked.

The last mile or so my left arch started to feel like it was cramping. Not so painful that I needed to limp or anything, but annoying. Back at Heritage a physical therapist was there to evaluate injuries, so I spoke with him. He suggested that perhaps the underlying issue is instability in my hips/lower back and if I work on strengthening muscles in that area the cascade of tightness and pronation that begins as those muscles get fatigued won't happen. I've had twinges in my arch and seemingly random leg aches most of my life, and this isn't the first time that my hip/low back/pelvis has been suggested as a root cause. I'm interested to find exercises that I can do on my own.

On another note, two people today commented on my appearance of weight loss. I did notice that the hydration belt that my walking buddy Pat lent me did fit more loosely today than it did even as recently as last Saturday, and my pants have been fitting more comfortably too.

No comments:

Post a Comment