Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 2nd Workout

I had planned to get up at 6:00 this morning and go out by myself while my husband and baby slept (or at least while Adam watched Charlotte since she is usually in sync with mommy and wakes when I do), but you know what they say about plans.

When I was getting Charlotte ready for bed last night I noticed a small pus-filled blister on her left index finger. Her whole finger was slightly swollen too. At 4:30 in the morning, I woke up with a start. Charlotte was burning up with fever. I took her temperature and it was 103! Her poor finger was twice the size and the blister took up most of her finger pad and was stretched to the limit with bloody pus. Adam called the advice nurse who told us to try to get her fever down with a sponge bath, and if it didn't go down within the hour to take her to urgent care or the ER. The sponge bath did reduce her fever in the short-term, but by the time an hour had passed it was back up to 102.7. With that combined with how awful her finger looked, a rash she had developed and her rapid breathing, we decided to take her to the ER.

At the ER they did minor surgery on her finger. First I was told they were just going to lance it to let out the pus, but the PA ended up needing to cut away a bunch of tissue. Her finger was dressed in gauze and wrapped in tape. I've had a hard time keeping it out of her mouth and keeping her from trying to rip off the bandage.

We got home from the ER around 8:00 with prescriptions for two antibiotics, Cephalex and Sulfameth. About 10 minutes after her first dose of each, she vomited all over my lap.

Needless to say, I didn't go into work.

In the afternoon, Charlotte's fever broke and she started showing signs of feeling better. We have to change the dressing on her wound tonight and I didn't have any gauze or tape. There is a Walgreens 0.8 miles from my house (about 15 minutes walking) so I thought I would do my 30 minute workout for today and do an errand at the same time.

Pushing the stroller with a 17 lb baby and a who-knows-how-heavy diaper bag and purse made for a great workout even while walking at a brisk pace, and it got even more intense as I walked up Cabrillo due to the tree roots that push up the sidewalk and make steep little hills every few feet.

I feel good if a little tired from my early morning and all-day marathon nursing to comfort and heal Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment