Thursday, May 14, 2009

Got to start somewhere

I ran for the first time today. Official training has yet to begin, but the coach's note posted on the team Yahoo group suggested that rusty runners try running 3/1 intervals (3 minutes running and 1 minute walking) to get started and get a sense of where we are starting from.

I didn't even run for three minutes straight. I stopped after 2:25 feeling like my lungs were full of smog. I took a two minutes of fast walking to give myself a break and then started back to a slow jog. The second time I stopped after 2:40 because I was feeling seriously nauseous (I unwisely had just eaten dinner!).

I then continued to walk briskly around our complex for 20 minutes. I actually felt like I was going faster and using energy more efficiently in my walk. Hopefully I'll pick up some tips on proper running technique during the Saturday trainings and will get to where I feel just as comfortable running or jogging as I do power walking. Or, maybe walking is my thing? Too early to call.

Still, I'm proud of myself for getting out there. I'll try again tomorrow, BEFORE dinner instead!

Question to experienced runners: Is there anything I can do (other than regularly hocking loogies) to prevent the unpleasant sensation of mucus gagging me as I run? I suffer from mild allergies and post-nasal drip that seems to be exacerbated by running. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment