Saturday, May 23, 2009

May 23rd Workout

This morning I woke up  at 6:00 a.m. in a condo in Solvang.  I tried to roll over and go back to sleep, but light streaming through the blinds triggered my internal clock and made it impossible.  After nursing Charlotte back to sleep, I got up and squeezed myself some orange juice and had a bowl of Cheerios with soy milk in order to get the requisite 300 calorie breakfast 30-60 minutes before exercising.  Although I couldn't join the team at Heritage Park in Irvine this morning while on vacation, I was determined to complete the two mile workout just the same.  

Around 7 I headed out the door in workout gear, leaving Adam and Charlotte sleeping peacefully.  
I stopped at the front desk to pick up a map to the grocery store which I had read is 1 mile from our resort.   In addition to the map, I also carried a bottle of water and a stop watch so I could time my progress.  I did 5 minutes of stretches and slow walking, and then began at a slow jog up the block from the resort to the corner of Alisal andHwy 246 (it took about 4.5 minutes according to my timer).  At the corner I switched to a brisk walk, and turned right to walk past Old Mission Santa Ines.  There the sidewalk ended just about the time my timer hit 7:00.    I jogged up an inclined grassy hill along the side of the road, crossing to the other side of the street at Pine.  I continued on 246 up to Alamo Pintado at a brisk walk, crossing the street, turning left and walking through the parking lot of the Nielsen Center to Nielsen's market.  I did a quick turn through the store at about 16:00 and headed back.  I continued at a brisk walking pace all the way back to the resort.  All told, the trip took me about 35:00.  

I tracked the mileage with the car later in the morning when we went back to Nielsen's for a grorcery run, and it was almost exactly 1 mile away, maybe 1.1 miles if I add the distance in the parking lot and through the store.  

I felt GREAT!  It was quite a bit easier to jog without pushing the stroller ... which makes sense.  Charlotte weighs almost 17 pounds now, plus however much the empty stroller weighs!

No comments:

Post a Comment