Thursday, May 14, 2009

We've Only Just Begun

Welcome to my blog, where I'll be charting my progress in facing two of my biggest fears: fear of hard work and fear of failure.

The only way to conquer fears is to face them head on. I'm doing that in a big way by training to run the Long Beach Marathon with Team in Training. They will provide coaching, comraderie and pre- and post-race celebrations. In return, I will raise $2100.

Success will require plenty of hard work. And failure is a possibility on several fronts. I might get injured. I might get lazy. The economy might get in the way of people's generosity.

With my old ways, I would have given up already because the work seemed too overwhelmingly hard and failure was too likely.


I've repented of that cowardice and asked God for courage.


The old has gone, and the new has come!

I'm going to take this one day at a time. Follow the instructions of my coaches and mentors when it comes to both physical training and fundraising strategies. Practice every bit of cognitive therapy I've internalized. Use the FlyLady routines to keep my household on track. Practice meditation and other spiritual disciplines so God can continue to fill me with His courage. I can do everything through Him who strengthens me!

Yes, in five months, if I stick to the training and follow the fundraising instructions without giving up, one thing is certain: I'll be a stronger, healthier person on my birthday than I am now.

And that's the best birthday present I could give myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment